IPv6 capable BitTorrent from NIIF/HUNGARNET
This page has split into two pieces: the clients, the bittorrent
services via IPv6
The recommended client is the Bittornado, since
the development is relatively stable.
|Patch for original Bittorrent version 3.3
- Be sure that your machine can communicate via IPv6.
- You should use Python version 2.3.x at least, in order to be able to use
- This patch tries to solve the following:
- It can bind to the AF_INET6 wildcard socket and AF_INET wildcard socket in the same time. This should valid for most of the implementation however you might need to change the ipv6_bind_ipv4 default value in bind()
- It can correctly connect to any kind of socket - uses family independent functions
- You can try this patch to RawServer.py with patch < RawServer.py.correct command to Bittorrent version 3.3.
- Then install Bittorent according to the original documentation
Do no try to use this patch for Bittorrent version 3.4.1 or later, since
they introduce a different protocol for announcement (compact=1), that is
no longer transport neutral: encodes the IP+Port into a binary stream
without proper bencoding. Bittorrent 3.4.1 and later introduces
bad protocol changes.
ABC [ Yet Another Bittorrent Client ] claims, that it has IPv6 support since version 2.6.
Bittornado has IPv6 support since version 0.0.1.
The latest version 0.3.7 has also the (compact=1) changes, therefore render
IPv6 support useless. I am sure that IPv6 never tested in Bittornado 0.3.7.
There is a patch here to disable the usage of compact=1 on clients.
- Working properly on Windows XP but without IPv6.
The python on Windows does not support IPv6, so you cannot expect that will support IPv6.
- You cannot install ABC on Linux: you should run from the extraction
directory. There are lot of hardwired path in the code, that has to be cleaned
- The ABC does support IPv6 on Linux (and FreeBSD). You have to manually
enable it, then you can use it. Not tested the version later than 2.6.5. I will do it when 2.7.0 will be available.
- General comments
- The core of the the ABC based on the Shadows Bittorent client that has